Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cell Phone Finger Switch! Scoliosis Exercise

If you are anything like me, you spend way too much time perusing the litany of applications available on your cell phone. I wonder how much time I actually spend holding my cell phone in my right hand with my head slightly cocked to the left (and downward, of course) enjoying my Droid delights.

I've started trying something new when I'm tapping away at my cell phone screen: using my OTHER, NON-DOMINANT HAND.

Hm. You might be thinking, "Could something so seemingly minor really be sufficient to be called an EXERCISE?" I say oh, yes indeed.

My left curving scoliosis basically dictates the way I carry my body especially in those nuanced, not-obvious-until-it's-painfully-obvious ways.

So, what do I mean by "finger switch"? Well, I always hold my cell phone in my right hand and text / scroll / maneuver with my right thumb. Seems pretty obvious given I'm a righty. But, if I move my phone to my left hand and start scrolling / maneuvering with my left thumb, then the real fun begins.

Physical Effects of the Cell Phone Finger Switch:

1) Instead of my spine curving to the left, it begins to straighten and I feel a stretch through my tight right back.

2) Instead of my left ear hovering near my left shoulder, space is magically created and my head (ears) are more evenly balanced over my shoulders.

I like to take this feeling a bit further and deliberately edge my right ear to my right shoulder just enough to feel a stretch in my right back.

3) My left shoulder, which apparently I've neglected to use over the years, finally has a change to show me what it can do with fine motor movements.

I find it very effective to keep my left elbow close to or even touching my body. In this position, moving my thumb takes more effort than I'd expect, but I like the feeling because I know it's giving my left side some long-needed working out.

All of the above effects feel even better when I raise my phone higher up, closer to eye level. Not to mention, moving my phone higher up is helping me get rid of my unsightly forward head induced neck hump and reduces the potential for migraines.

Give it a shot: try holding your cell phone in your left hand (or whichever side you don't normally use), even if just for a minute.

Hope you feel something good!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog while researching scoliosis and TMJ. My TMJ pain just began about three months ago, and while I don't seem to have spasms, it is painful when I eat. While I haven't read all your posts yet, I wonder what your experiences with chiropractic or massage treatments have been? I had a great full body hour long massage recently that helped the limited range of motion of my neck to the right side (important while driving!) I'm considering starting a regular round of massage/chiropractic/PT. I am 59, so am not as flexible as you, although the yoga poses look interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harmony! I'm so glad you happened to find my blog during your research. I'm happy to hear that your experience with massage was able to give you back some of that much needed range of motion. Funny how we sometimes forget how amazing it feels to have something so simple restored into our lives. I think it's a wonderful idea to begin regular physical therapy sessions (including chiropractic care or massage therapy). It's probably best to try and keep any TMJ problems from spinning too far out of control (as in my case!). My experiences with massage and chiropracters has been positive and extremely beneficial to reducing my symptoms as well as giving me inspiration for many of my home stretches.

    I say if you can afford it, then enjoy the physicial and mental benefits! And I do think it's okay to splurge a couple times a year if you can't. :) Groupon, anyone?

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete