Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dog Therapy for Scoliosis: Down Dog and Up Dog Yoga Poses

I have what many would consider a mild obsession with my dog. Please allow me to introduce my own personal man's best friend, Malcolm.

Malcolm is the sweetest black labrador basset hound mix (AKA "bassador") I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I adopted him 2 ago from a lovely woman who had picked him up after some bastard stopped their car and threw him out like yesterday's trash.

But as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Malcolm is certainly my treasure. He has added value to my life beyond measure. (I told you I have a mild obsession...) I am an adventurer at heart and I bring Malcolm with me anywhere he is permitted (and probably some places he isn't.) I affectionately call him my "adventure puppy" because he is down for anything just like his "mother." My kind of dog for sure.

Okay okay, enough with the formalities. Let's get to the meat of this post. (Malcolm agrees; meat is one of his favorite things.)

If you have a dog, then do what I do and receive inspiration from him for exercise. This concept is very simple: every time your dog does a down dog yoga pose, you do one, too! Every time your does an up dog yoga pose, you do one, too! You don't necessarily have to do a full-on down dog or up dog yoga pose when your dog does it, but rather allow his movement to inspire and remind you to stretch and exercise. Yoga poses are often named after animals, and down/up dog is an obvious one. Animals have a natural intuition when it comes to ensuring they don't become stiff and immobile. Follow your animal's instincts and your body will begin to feel less stiff and more mobile.

Down Dog Variations (do this when you see your dog do his down dog stretch):

  • Standard down dog on the ground
  • Child's pose on the ground
  • Modified standing down dog pose against the wall

  • Modified standing sun salutation

  • Chair pose

  • Wall half hand stand

  • Dolphin pose

Up Dog Variations (do this when you see your dog do his up dog stretch):

  • Standard up dog on the ground

  • Seated mild spinal arch
 
Another benefit of doing some of these modifications on down dog or up dog is that it allows you to feel the muscles that should be working when you are in the full on up dog or down dog pose on the ground. Sometimes, when we do yoga, we tend to focus so much on the end result and looking like the teacher. Changing it up a little allows you to lose that sense of ego and accidently discover how to deepen your own yoga practice resulting in improved flexibility and ability to enter into poses.

Love my dog!


2 comments:

  1. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It's the little changes
    that produce the most significant changes. Many thanks for sharing!


    Here is my site: panic disorder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you, new internet friend! Thank you for checking out my blog. I 100% agree: it's the little things that often do the most.

      Namaste. ♥

      Delete