Thursday, August 16, 2012

Arching the Back for TMJ & Scoliosis

I often employ a very slight arch to my spine when I do my scoliosis oriented exercises.

The key word here is SLIGHT! It is important not to exacerbate my back problem, so I try my best to make all of my movements incremental and slight. That way, the risk of further injuring my back is reduced.

When I arch my back, I always always always arch when my lower abdominals are engaged. When I say "engaged" I don't mean any crazy crunching antics. I mean that I start at my spinal "root", employing the same idea/action from this movement using the foam roller to engage my low, deep abdominals.

It helps for me to picture engaging these lower abdominal muscles on a long IN breath for a count of 4. With each count, I raise my lower hips ever so slightly. The end position that I aim for is almost as though I have raised my lower booty off of the ground or chair that I'm in. This movement should be TINY. You should feel the bulk of the movement going on INSIDE your body. If someone across the room can see that you've done this lower abdominal engagement, then you're movement is way too big. The point of this exercise is to work weak muscles that you rarely use. So, slow your roll! And take a nice slow IN breath for a count of 4, engaging the lower abs while you do it.

Once you have engaged the lower abs, it's time to begin to SLIGHTLY arch the spine. Remember to maintain your hip position that you worked so hard for in the step above!

Stabilize the shoulders on a flat surface like a chair or a wall. Put your hands either on the floor next to each hip or each knee. Now to begin the arch. Start by slowly giving yourself a double chin. Use the base of the back of your head where your hairline begins as your guide. Remember to keep your awesome hip position from above!

Once you have your double chin AND your lower abdominals are completely still, then comes the last part of the arch: pick an imaginary spot on the wall in front of you at nose level. Using the tip of your nose as a guide, draw a 1 inch going up the wall from the imaginary spot you chose. You should feel a GREAT stretch throughout the back and up through the thoracic spinal region.

Remember, keep your hips and lower abdominals 100% stable! If you don't, you risk further damage to your lower back. Bad news.

You may not be able to execute this SLIGHT back arch quite yet. But the point in that it took you years to get where you are, so it's going to take more than reading this blog one time to fix your problems. Take your time and your body will thank you. I am already feeling wonderful benefits from the exercises that I have started to practice.


Tiny movements! Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. I have read so many articles or г&X65;vіewѕ rega&X72;ding t&X68;e blοgger lovers excеp&X74; this piece of wrriting iѕ actually a &X67;ood piecе of writi&X6E;g,
    kеep іt &X75;p.

    My blog - tmj no More scam

    ReplyDelete