Sunday, August 12, 2012

Gauze Roll for TMJ Toothache Pain

I have been in-and-out of some debilitating pain for the past week in my right jaw, neck, and upper back. One thing that works without fail, at least relieve acute pain, is a small gauze roll. I usually wear my roll to sleep and / or during the day when I feel the pain about to strike.

All I do is take a 4x4 gauze roll and fold it into a small square. I put the square gauze roll in my mouth between my right cheek and lower jaw (close to the 4th tooth from the back). Eventually, when the pain releases near the 4th tooth from the back, I push it further and further back to my tolerance level. Eventually, I can place it at the very back of my jaw between the pyterygoid muscles that line the upper and lower jaw lines. When the pain is relieved and my bout of spasm has ceased, I usually remove the gauze.

The gauze roll is used in emergent situations and can prevent you from grinding too much during the night if you want a change from night guards (or a change from wearing nothing to sleep, in my case).

If you don't have / don't want to buy any guaze, you can also use a high quality paper towel folded from a 4x4 square. Cheap paper will melt in your mouth, and not in a good way. Also, you might swallow cheap paper at night which is a choking hazard. :/ As any registered nurse (or person who has undergone a significant amount of rear mouth dental work) knows that gauze is much more absorbent than regular paper towels. You won't drool as much when you wear the gauze, which makes it easier to talk with the gauze in your mouth (only if talking IS NECESSARY) and you won't look much more miserable than you already do, which is always nice.


Safe gauze rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment