Monday, August 13, 2012

Exploring Misaligned Teeth in TMJ & Scoliosis

So, my right jaw is still in and out of spasm. One really easy activity that I do involves using my tongue to press against my teeth, especially ON THE NON-SPASMING side.

My TMJ spasm is on the right side which means that my jaw has been pulled to the right over the many years of my teeth grinding. My goal is to gently coax my jaw into moving more the left which will allow my right jaw to relax. I've had 3 crowns on the right side of mouth alone, so there is basically no predicting how many teeth are further contributing to the exacerbation of the problem.

When I "normally" close my mouth and bring my teeth together, none of the upper and lower teeth line up.  However, I can align my jaw with very little strain on the jaw itself by a simple maneuver using my tongue.

I take my tongue and press it on the left side of my inner teeth (place tongue between teeth number 16 and 17), using the pressure from my tongue to gently slide the jaw into alignment. Try to relax your entire body. I use an in and out breath cycle until I literally feel my right jaw release. Hold gentle pressure against the left teeth using your tongue, aiming to keep your left teeth slightly touching. When I do this, I actually have a little bit of space now between my right upper and lower teeth which is pretty exciting.

Here is a tooth diagram with teeth numbers:

Now I know my bite is out of whack, but at least now I am aware of it and can make changes accordingly to get out of this constant cycle of TMJ spasm and migraines.

No comments:

Post a Comment