Monday, August 13, 2012

Drinking Room Temperature Fluids During TMJ Spasm

Today has been my most pain-free day in about a week. I was starting to lose faith there for a minute, so I'm glad to be feeling some relief.

I decided to stay away from any 'ultra' temperature fluids today after a horrible spasm last night after combining hot soon after drinking something cold. All I have had to drink today is room temperature or slightly cool water with a splash of lemon. Why lemon? Helps the medicine go down. I love to drink anything with lemon in it, including water. 

 

When I drink, I try to push the fluid instantly down the center of my mouth and down the center of my throat. I try not to give the fluid time to linger in either the left or especially the right side of my mouth, particularly if the fluid is cold or hot. When 'ultra' hot or cold temperature fluids sit in the back right corner of my mouth / throat, I get a crazy spasm and instantly want to cry. When I push the fluid quickly back through my mouth, I'm using the muscles at the back of my throat to swallow the water; whereas before, I was letting the fluid linger on either side of my mouth and hence being swallowed on one side of my mouth or the other.

This movement strengthens my throat muscles that are weak as well as those that are in spasm. I feel my right jaw relax when I use this deliberate drinking method. 

Bottom's up!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment