Saturday, August 18, 2012

Outdoor Therapy for Scoliosis & TMJ

When my TMJ flared up horrendously a few weeks ago, I was at a loss about what to do for the 10/10 pain.
Google, my Ayurvedic self healing book, and various yoga positions provided a little relief, but the pain kept coming back with a vengeance.

A common theme that I discovered about all the sources that I read: being outdoors helps to relieve stress.
I took it upon myself to find a way to incorporate all of the suggestions that I'd gathered thus far: I decided to go camping.

Turns out it was a fantastic decision. Within hours of being at the campsite, my 10/10 TMJ pain that had prevented me from getting a full night's sleep for 7 days was most at a 2/10 at it's worst.

I attribute the pain relief to several factors:

1) Fresh air

Taking a deep breath of fresh, pollutant free air is a wonderful way to easily clear the mind and begin the path to relaxation.

2) Yoga

Being outside with few electronic gadgets makes it easier to do something other than watching TV.
My activity of choice when I'm in pain is yoga. I don't go overboard with any particular pose. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite camping yoga exercises is simply relaxing in my hammock. Easy as pie - it takes a ZERO effort and helps me to relax both my body and mind.
I think of camping as my very low cost alternative to one of those expensive yoga retreats. Cost is about $20 a night.
Completely worth the cash.

3) Setting Up Camp

Setting up a good campsite takes a little skill - both mental and physical. You have to work pretty hard to put up a tent, mosquito-proof your campsite, and stay hydrated in the August Texas heat.
This probably doesn't really sound fun because it isn't. However, that isn't the point of the activity.
Using my mind and body to set up a nice campsite all by myself provides me with the ultimate DISTRACTION THERAPY. Think about it: you are.(desperately) trying to pitch your tent before you lose the sunlight and are forced to sleep in your car.

In this moment, these hours, the LAST thing you are thinking about is the nagging pain in your jaw or back.

Distraction therapy, meet yoga.

Turns out they were friends in a former life. :) Their souls get along splendidly; your body thanks you by releasing any tension or pain you may have.

No more pain. Life is good.

Happy camping, campers. :)



Happy campers...

Click here to try out my homemade bug spray. Works like a charm without that annoying greasy feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment