Monday, August 13, 2012

Easy Yoga Inversions & Push Ups for TMJ & Scoliosis

I have been trying to work my way up to a pull up on my boyfriend's over-the-door home pull up bar. Boy, that is easier said than done. Suffice it to say, I'm still quite-a-way's away from achieving that feat. Frankly, I'm impressed anytime I see anyone do a pull up.

So, in an effort to improve my upper body strength, I have been employing a few specific techniques. 

Technique 1 For Lady Upper Body Strength Building: Push Ups


When I hear those 2 little words (push ups), I picture wimpy ladies falling out everywhere. I'm ashamed just thinking about it, especially since I was / am one of those weak ladies. 

Well, I'm tired of being a wimp.

I started by doing "wall ups" to begin to teach my body how to complete the required moves for a full push up. This is actually a simple AND effective means of engaging and building up the musscles required to do push ups. "Wall ups" are easily modifiable to any skill level. I mean ANY skill level. 

Example of "wall ups" done very well. I would call this level of execution a medium difficulty level. Start with the arms higher up on the wall to make the exercise easier. You will still feel the burn! 

Technique 2 for Lady Upper Body Strength Building: Pole Inversions


At the very first pole class I ever took, I learned this move. I can't remember what it was called, but as with most pole dancing BEGINNER MOVES, it is surprisingly simple to achieve. 


The language of the video isn't very helpful (it's almost self-defeating
for pole newbies), so I usually just watch it on silent. :/

This position is one that looks legitimately harder than it is to achieve. Go ahead and give it a shot with one leg and see how your jaw feels. For right jaw pain, focus on getting your left leg up and behind you. Work up to getting both legs up, then eventually grip the pole with your knees.

Technique 3 for Lady Upper Body Strength: Inversions on Any Wall


Pick a wall. Any wall. You might want to start with any bare wall in your house and become more emboldened as you increase your strength. Basically, do the exact same movement that you did (or maybe didn't) attempt on the pole in Technique 2: Handstand Pole Inversion.

Try to wear some footwear that has a bit of traction. You can use the traction to help hold yourself up by your feet, especially if this position is a new movement for you. Plus, if you begin to slide down the wall on your feet, you can use the traction to apply the brakes until you regain control of your body. 

  • To make this exercise easier:
    • 1) Start by putting up one leg at a time. Work toward getting both legs on the wall.
    • 2) Start farther away from the wall and move closer as you become stronger in your upper body.


Happy inverting!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely these exercises are useful for women. They can increase their upper body strength easily by following this workout.back and neck pain bergen county

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, upper body strength has always been a weakness of mine and most women I know. I think these exercises can probably be useful for men or anyone with poor posture. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete