Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hammock Relaxation for TMJ Pain

I don't think I've ever been in a hammock before. However, since camping is one of my new favorite hobbies, I thought now would be the perfect time to give it try.

The verdict: a hammock is a great way to reduce stress AND practice some easy spinal exercises to help my right TMJ and left curving scoliosis.

In typical "me" fashion, I made the following positioning adjustments to more specifically address the torsion (twisting) in my back that has developed due to my scoliosis.

Adjustment 1 - Straddle to Get On Hammock: 


Enter the chair by straddling the hammock with both legs. Maybe this is how all people enter a hammock; more power to them and their spines if that is the case. When I straddle the hammock, I'm using both of my inner thighs to hold my body up. This works to align the very base or "root" of my spine. Having a grounded base (ground chakra exercise) functions like the "roots" of a tree to ground my entire body. My spine then follows, allowing it to be as straight and balanced as possible. Hold this position for as long as you wish.

Adjustment 2 - Left Toe Point:


With my entire body now in the hammock, legs straight-ish in front of me, I take my left leg and point my left toe to the to corner of the hammock. This pushes my right hip out of the way to the right. Just put the right leg anywhere right now. Your left hip should automatically move upward and your right hip will subsequently move downward. (The is a very slight spinal twist in the OPPOSITE direction of my scoliosis torsion.) My hips feel much more balanced and equal in this position. I focus on really pushing downward and slightly upward with the left hip for my right TMJ pain.

Adjustment 2 should look something like this with the left leg up (the right leg is up in this photo).
 
Using a hammock makes me feel like I'm getting an experience similar to those innovative looking aerial or wall yoga classes.

Here is a photo of an aerial yoga class: 



Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment