Monday, August 13, 2012

Hip Circle Exercise for TMJ

I've started back up yoga again in and effort to curb both my ridiculously high stress levels and to help with my body tension. Yoga inspires me to figure out the root of my problems. Case in point: my yoga-inspired move of hip circles.

How to Perform the Hip Circles Exercise for Scoliosis: 

Step 1) I sit on the floor with my back against the wall for support. I sit either in a half lotus yoga position or with my feet straight out in front of me. If I choose the half lotus, then I always repeat the entire series with the other leg up on my inner thigh. Hands are to my side for stabilization and to make sure my body doesn't try to cheat.
Half lotus yoga pose (shown on left AND right legs)

Step 2) I take about 10 long in and out breaths arching my spine a tiny bit more with each breath to try and sit up as straight as possible. I try to end with my head  and lower jaw slightly upward from my own "normal" carriage.
Step 3) Picture a line going from your bellybutton to the bottom of your booty where you are sitting. Then, picture the tip of a red marker at the end of that line coming out of your booty (I know, weird; just go with it and judge later!)
Step 4) Picture yourself sitting on a large clock. Use the 'red pen' you created in your head to make a circle going from 12 to 3 to 6 to 9 and then back to 12. I feel myself using some DEEP abdominal muscles that I was not aware of until this moment. Be sure to use your inner-most muscles to do this exercise.
Step 5) Repeat the above "red pen" exercise; but this time, picture the line as starting at your belly button and going down and out of your left booty cheek. Do the clock exercise going clockwise and then counter-clockwise. Remember to use the muscles that are closest to the tip of your booty cheek and try your best to keep your pelvis exceptionally still other than the part of your right booty cheek line that you are working on.
Step 6) Repeat the exercise from Step 5 above, but this time use your right cheek.

Okay, so this movement description may seem weird at first... but give it a shot and you'll realize that probably no one can see what you are doing because the

Breathe easy.  is weird to write, but it is hardly noticeable to those around you, so give it a shot.

The spot that gives me the best right jaw spams relief is using "right booty cheek red pen exercise" going from 3 to 6 pm.

When you feel yourself using your deep abdominal muscles differently, try creating your own patterns of movements.

RAINBOW CLOCKS: Color Wheel Wall Clock - CafePress


My ultimate goal is to wine it like the sexy ladies in this Trini classic soca track "Roll It Gal" a la Trinidad carnival (akin to Mardi Gras for all you that are unfamiliar with the original Trinidadian carnival).
If you decide to take on the challenge of wining like the ladies in this video, then be sure to practice the movement in both directions while employing deep breathing from the belly.

Feels amazing. Wining 'till the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment